From 1910 on, the baron of Erlanger settled down in this house which he had built on Sidi Bou Saïd's hill. After a 10 years' works which saw the Maghreb's best craftsmen intervene, the Ennejma EzZarah palace (" star of Venus ") was completed and now covers an area of 2000 square meters with a five hectare terrace garden. The palace respects the standards of the Andalusian architecture. (*)

The persian garden

Finished in 1921, the palace presents an interior design that harmoniously mixes the Arab-Andalusian, Spanish and Italian styles. (*)

White and blue, the mandatory colors

At the same time, the baron obtained in August 1915 from the Tunisian authorities that the village be protected from the anarchic constructions and had the white and the blue imposed as the mandatory colors for the adornment of the outside of houses. (*)

Well-informed musicologist, the baron wrote a number of articles and books on the Arabic music.

The Center for Arabic and Mediterranean Musics

Since then, the palace became the Center for Arabic and Méditerranean Musics, CMAM. It shelters a collection of musical instruments and works of art. It is also in a center of meetings and conferences on music and  numerous concerts are organized there. (*)

(*) from Wikipedia

Kahoua el Alia and Kahoua Sidi Chabaane

The Zaouïa and the mosque

Palace Dar el-Annabi

Typical visit